Fight-off cold and flu season with clean hands.
14th November 2018, 14:40
The bitter cold hitting your face and mounds of snowfall at your feet is the first indication to start staying indoors and turn the thermometer up a few notches Ė but itís also a warning sign that cold and flu season has arrived. With the chill outside trapping everyone inside, germs spread more quickly and can wreak havoc at home and within schools, but is best known to directly strike the hustling and bustling workplace.
In order to avoid and prevent as many cold and flu infections this winter, itís vital that employers train, educate and continually remind employees about the importance of regular handwashing, including the proper technique and amount of soap to use. By implementing a hand hygiene program, companies can help prevent the spread of germs, protect its employees, save on costs, and create a more healthy and productive working environment.
Itís all in the Hands
Hands are the main transmitter of germs due to their basic function Ė carrying out most, if not all, of our tasks throughout the working day. A study done by University of Arizona discovered how quickly the flu spreads in the workspace with a mimicked flu experiment, starting with only one contaminated employee. The study found that within four hours, over 50 percent of surfaces and employees were contaminated. Hands frequently come in contact with germ hotspots, including:
Creating a Solution
Unfortunately, people donít wash their hands frequently or adequately enough to successfully fight back against cold and flu infections. According to a study done by Michigan State University, only 5 percent of people wash their hands correctly, leaving 95 percent cutting corners when it comes to preventing the spread of infections.
Handwashing does seem like a simple enough solution to implement without much training, yet the average person washes their hands for only around 10 seconds, which at best will remove about 90 percent of germs. That may sound like a great outcome, but bacteria will grow and can double in numbers in less than 20 minutes. And in 80 minutes, those washed off germs can be back to the same number prior to washing.
One of the best ways to reinforce best handwashing techniques during this critical season is to implement an effective hand hygiene program in the workplace. These programs can help influence and remind employees to take hand hygiene more seriously.
A successful hand hygiene program should include:
Clean Hands to the Rescue
In addition to getting the flu vaccine and staying home if ill, the best and easiest way everyone can prevent the spread of cold and flu infections within the workplace is to actively keep hands clean. During the peak months of cold and flu season (December Ė March), itís crucial to take extra precaution when it comes to hand hygiene. Enforcing an effective hand hygiene program will help keep an office or facility as clean and safe as possible, enhance productivity and produce an overall healthier working environment.
To find out more about hand hygiene products that can help with the fight against influenza and other common viruses, please call our friendly customer care team on 01282 684200. Thank you.
|Copyright © 2023 by The Trade Shop. All rights reserved.
|Last update: 14 Nov 2018, 14:40:00|